Thursday, May 17, 2012

If You Are Gonna be a Bear....

...be a Grizzly!
I have said this many times in the past few years. It is one of my favorite mottos. It is basically the same as "Go big or go home" or "If you are going to do it, do it right". I often quote these mottos when I am doing things, such as party planning, decorating, baking, etc. I mean, if you are going to do something why not do your absolute best at it?  When my dear Husband tells me I might be going a bit over the top on party planning, I quote my favorite grizzly bear motto. I mean, it's true. It's me. What can I say?
While I realize that doing my best and going overboard in the party department are not the same, I still use this logic. These parties are for my children and I only want the very best for them. I want them to be able to look back at photos and say "Wow Mom, you sure made our parties special!" Because that is what I try to do.

I often remind Lawson that we should always do our best in EVERYTHING we do, whether it is writing our name at school, cleaning our room, playing T-ball, or anything else. He and I have had quite a few talks about this. I tell him that the Lord always wants our best in all things. He expects us to do our best, to try our hardest, to go above and beyond and to do it with joy in our hearts. I have to remind myself of this fact a lot, too. I try to remember this daily...but I know I fall short.  I was told by his teacher that after he and I had one of our talks on this subject, that he came to school the next day like a different child. He didn't ask for help or say he needed help. He did his sheets to the best of his ability and did a great job at them. She was quite impressed. I was SO proud. But that is how Lawson works. He responds well to reason and discussion. If we tell him why he can/can't do something or why he should/shouldn't do something it is so much more effective than simply telling him not to do it "because I said so" or to do something with no reason behind it. He has always been this way, even when he was 18 months old. I simply had to remove him from any distractions, so I could have his full attention, and tell him what actions he needed to change and why. He is like a little adult sometimes.

I have been thinking about doing things to the best of my ability a lot lately. Maybe I am being hard on myself, but I feel that I have been slacking. I just can't seem to get it all done. I mean, there just aren't enough hours in one day. If I didn't have to eat or sleep, I could really get so much more accomplished!  Starting next week, I plan to reevaluate my schedule and try to rearrange things so that maybe I can fit in a little more time for me but still really focus on my family as well.
Wish me luck...

My Cup Runneth Over
~Shana~

No comments:

Post a Comment